Mangalore Crab Curry
Mangalore Crab Curry
If you’re looking for a curry with a difference, look no further. You will love the earthy and vibrant flavours of freshly ground spices and a whole lot of delicious crab. Serve with chapati or wild rice, fresh coriander and lime.
- 6 crabs cleaned and cut into pieces (if whole crab is not available from your local supermarket substitute for prepared crab meat or dressed crab)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 whole red chillies adjust to taste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1.5 inches ginger skin removed
- 3/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 400 g coconut fresh grated (if not available replace with soaked desiccated coconut)
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 2 curry leaves
- 350 ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped (to garnish
- 1/2 red chilli finely slice
Once the crabs are cleaned and cut into pieces, marinate with salt and turmeric powder, set aside for about 20-30 minutes.
In a mixer grinder add the whole chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and mustard seeds. Blend into a coarse paste with some water (just enough to mix). Once blended, add in the coconut and the tamarind paste but only blitz for about 5 seconds so that the coconut is still rough.
Heat the oil in a pan. Add the finely sliced onions and fry until softened. Add the prepared ground spices and cook for a couple of minutes on a medium to low heat, stirring regularly. Add the curry leaves and cook out for a couple of minutes.
Add the crabs along with warm water and cover to cook. This should take about 10-15 minutes. Season to taste.
5. To serve, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and sliced chilli. Serve immediately.
SIGN UP FOR MORE
SIGN UP TO SHOW INTEREST IN RECEIVING A NEWSLETTER FROM US
BY SIGNING UP, YOU’RE CONFIRMING THAT YOU WOULD LIKE US TO SEND YOU OUR NEWSLETTERS BY EMAIL.
CASTLE MACLELLAN DOES NOT SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES AND YOU CAN UNSUBSCRIBE AT ANY TIME.
Castle MacLellan Foods Ltd, Riverside, Dee Walk, Kirkcudbright, Dumfries & Galloway, DG6 4DR, Scotland
01557 330 905
Castle MacLellan is proud to be part of the Kavli Group.
Kavli is owned by the Kavli Trust which supports good causes both in the UK and abroad.