Creamy Smoked Salmon, Potato, Celeriac and Fennel Gratin
- 25 g butter
- 1 clove, large garlic halved
- 100 g Castle MacLellan Smoked Salmon Pate
- 300 ml single cream
- 75 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- Salt and black pepper
- 750 g Maris Piper potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 whole, small celeriac peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 head fennel trimmed, reserving tops for garnish, and thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 160C Fan, 180C, Gas No. 4.
Butter large shallow ovenproof dish and rub the cut garlic over the butter on the base and sides of the dish. This will add a mild garlic flavour to the dish.
In a small saucepan whisk together the salmon pate with the cream until well blended. Add the bayleaf and heat, stirring occasionally over medium heat until almost boiling. Stir in 50g cheese until melted, season to taste and remove from the heat.
Arrange overlapping slices of sliced potatoes over the base of the buttered dish. Next layer the celeriac, followed by sliced fennel. Continue to layer the vegetables finishing with a layer of potatoes.
Pour the salmon and cream mixture over the layered vegetables, allowing it to drizzle through the layers. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top of the layered vegetables.
Bake in a preheated oven at for 1-1 1/4 hours until cooked through and golden.
Tips: to save time use a food processor to slice the vegetables