1982: A journey from humble beginnings
Over the last 30 years Castle MacLellan has grown from a small operation producing several tubs of pâté a day in the back of a small delicatessen, to a major national force supplying supermarkets the length and breadth of the country. Our reputation and ability to source the best ingredients has enabled us to create the finest recipes and award winning products – all this from the humblest beginnings.
1987: Time to expand but staying true to our roots
Our foray into the retail sector began when a supermarket buyer tasted the products whilst on holiday in Kirkcudbright. In 1987 we received the keys to a new factory in order for us to meet the demand for our products and to enable the business to grow.
Castle MacLellan’s local history and supplier relationships play as important a role in the company’s success story now, as they did over 30 years ago. Our executive chef, has trawled Scotland, renowned for its abundance of natural produce for ingredients. This has resulted in partnerships with local suppliers including Galloway Lodge Preserves, Rannoch Smokery, Orkney Crab, John Mellis Honey and Graham’s Dairies.
1997: The company behind Castle MacLellan
By 1997 the long term investment plan to increase capacity accelerated when Kavli Ltd acquired the business in 1997. Castle MacLellan became a member of the Kavli Group.
Kavli was started by Olav Kavli in Norway in 1893, when at the age of 21 he realised his dream and started a business buying and selling cheeses. He eventually worked with his son, Knut where they expanded the Kavli business and began to open factories in their key export markets. The Kavli Group now has commercial operations in the UK, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark and it's owned by the Kavli Trust.